Monday, May 18, 2015

Spring Cleaning 2015

This morning begins the 2015 Cleaning/Purging Frenzy. It's going to be epic. There is so much in this house right now that just needs to go. So, I'm curious. What is your Spring Cleaning method? Do you have a method? Do you do one big clean at some point throughout the year and then let everything go to hell in between (guilty)?



Here's my typical plan (because I am a college teacher and generally have my time in the summer at my disposal, I can do this. It would be harder if you work 9-5 five days a week; you'd have to break it up on the weekends or in the evenings).

  • I only tackle one room per day. If I try to do more, even if I finish early, I get lazy, and I don't do as thorough of a job as I should (especially purging). This is my plan for the next few weeks: 
    • Tuesday: Living room; Wednesday: Dining Room; Thursday: Kitchen (then, Memorial Day weekend off); Tuesday: Playroom; Wednesday: Office; Thursday: Our Room; Friday: Maggie's Room; Saturday: Sophie's Room; Monday: Basement; Tuesday: Garage; Rest of the week: Outdoors. That schedule will have me wrapping up right as Maggie is finishing school. 
  • As I tackle each room, I start in one corner and work my way around (that way, I'm working methodically through the room). Again, I do this so I don't get overwhelmed and dart around the room like a ping-pong ball. I move all of the furniture and sweep underneath, wipe all furniture down, throw out any randomness (papers, etc.), and try to reorganize. Final step: I sweep and scrub the floors. This method also has me only spending about 3-4 hours cleaning per day, so I can then devote time to beginning other summer work projects (or the pool, whichever seems like the better option that day;)). 
I love the feeling of a clean, organized house. Too bad about that little thing called entropy. Wish me luck!! A/J
Post a Comment