Friday, January 9, 2015

Roasted Carrot and Tarragon Soup

Some days, about the only thing I have left in my refrigerator are a bunch of leftovers, some chicken broth, and a beer. Today was one of those days, and I started my second AdvoCare 24-Day Challenge on Monday, which was probably not the best idea, because I have zero money left to go to the store until tomorrow and eating healthy is EXPENSIVE.

Looking into the depths of my fridge, I realized I had a container of leftover roasted carrots (made from basically this recipe; goodness, they were delicious. My brother-in-law, who swore he hated roasted carrots, even liked them), onions and garlic I had strained from the onion broth I made for Soph because she was sick, and chicken broth (see above). So, I thought, I guess I could try to make carrot soup. Is there such a thing as carrot soup? Turns out, there is.

I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest as I was searching, and decided to tweak it, based on what I had in my pantry/reserves. It turned out so delicious I just had to share. Enjoy!! A/J

Super-Easy Roasted Carrot and Tarragon Soup
Just looking at it makes me all hungry again. 
Roasted Carrot and Tarragon Soup (Serves 3-4)

You'll need:

  • 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
  • One diced onion and three cloves of garlic (either reserved from making a broth or diced fresh)
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon of tarragon
  • 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
  • Roasted Carrots (either make a double batch one night for dinner and reserve half for the soup, or roast the carrots using the recipe linked above) 
  • 1 small potato, microwaved for 2 minutes, peeled, and diced (for body in the soup; be sure to poke holes in it before you microwave)
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 dash of cayenne pepper 
  • Salt and pepper to taste


You'll do: 
  1. Bring the tablespoon of coconut oil up to temp over medium heat. Once the oil is melted, add the onion; saute lightly until translucent. Add the garlic, saute for about 30 seconds more, adding in at the same time the paprika, ginger, and tarragon. 
  2. Add the broth, being sure to scrape any brown residue from the bottom of the pan so that it dissolves into the broth. Bring to a light boil and then reduce the temp to low. 
  3. Allow the broth to develop for about five minutes. Then, turn off the heat and add the carrots, potato, and a dash of cayenne pepper. 
  4. Using a hand-held immersion blender, blend up the soup right in the pot. Process it as you like. If you want it  toothsome, leave some unblended. If you want it silky smooth, go for that consistency. (If your broth seems too thick, add the necessary water. I had to, but it didn't affect the flavor negatively). 
  5. Season to taste. Serve, in a white bowl with cracked black pepper for effect;). 
  6. You guys know my last step: ENJOY! Would also be great with a swirl of sour cream or Greek yogurt, but I am on a challenge after all;). I probably already broke a bunch of rules eating those roasted carrots;). I also think it would be delicious to add some finely chopped parsley on the top. Because I love parsley in just about everything. 
PS: If you like it, would you pin it? Pretty please? You're awesome:). 

Post a Comment