Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Bare Necessities: That's Really Livin' (#yeahman)

The older I get, the less I feel the call of the rat race. The more I begin to believe that there is something to be said for the kind of life that allows one time to breathe, to relax. The more I want to do things on my own terms (which requires me, actually, to think deeply about what those terms are). The more I want to slow the f*!& down.

Every morning, on my way to drop Sophie off at my mom's before I head to work, she wants to listen to "kids' songs," which means the Walt Disney radio station on Pandora. This morning, when I hooked up my iPhone, the song "Bare Necessities" came blaring out of the speakers (we like our music loud). Soph, from the back seat, yelled, "Mom, I kno-ow this is your favorite song." It really is (my favorite Disney song anyway, and I usually declare it is my favorite song - just as I declare John Goodman is my favorite actor - every time it comes on, but Sophie beat me to the punch). So this morning, we sang the hell out of it as we rolled along the country roads toward my mom's farm: "Look for the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities, forget about your worries and your strife ..."



The Bare Necessities Disney
"Yeah, man." Via

Now Baloo, who sings this song, is really kind of a jerk, when you think about it. He lets the bees do all the work and spends his time loafing around getting fat off of the insects' spoils. But the song, the song, speaks to me, especially these lines late in the lyrics:
And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true
The bare necessities of life will come to you.
Maybe when you slow down a little, stop worrying so much about what your destiny is supposed to be, what job you're supposed to have, what is going to happen when the tree falls on your house or the refrigerator stops working because the seal is pealing off or the water leaking through the as-yet-to-be-repointed chimneys leaks in again this winter, life starts to finally make sense.  

Maybe that, my friends, is reaaaaalllly livin' (or maybe the roof falls in on your head). Ah, hell, it's a really good song anyway;). A/J


Post a Comment