Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Chalkboard Backsplashes and Turquoise Countertops

My house is kind of like Augustus Waters's house in The Fault in Our Stars. There are little mantras everywhere. I can't help myself. I like words. I like words in frames, engraved on wood, etc. And I like changing it up a lot, which is when chalkboard paint comes in handy.

So, my kitchen. Well, I don't love it, especially the turquoise countertops. I don't mind the cabinetry; they are sturdy Kitchenaide cabinets (I'm not sure if they are original to the house, but they are old; I think the may have been added sometime in the 1950s, and our house was built in 1933. I wish I had pictures of the original kitchen; I'd try to recreate it as much as possible, a la Nicole Curtis:((). I don't mind the wall color, because I picked it. But I am really not a fan of the turquoise countertops. I get that turquoise is an "in" color right now; I just don't think that turquoise is a color meant for the workspace in one's kitchen.

Here's what the kitchen originally looked like, to give you a sense of how the turquoise counters fit into the original decorating scheme.

Sorry about the quality of the picture. It's the only one I have laying around (from the original sales flyer for the house). Again, some of the cabinetry was wallpapered, on the sides and certain accents. The wallpaper also had bonnets and flowers on it.
I had originally just painted the backsplash green, like the rest of the walls. But lately, I've been wanting something different, an accent for the backsplash, and we just don't have the money right now to spend large amounts on tile, etc. I did, however, have a small can of chalkboard paint to tide me over. Here's how they turned out. I like them for now.


Points if you can find the Swedish Chef.

 
Here's what I am tackling this morning. Stay tuned for updates! A/J

#creepybasement #dancestudio #mancave #paneling #morelinoleum #lastremodeledin1975
Post a Comment