Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Throwing a Blind (Book) Date Party

What will it be??
So, a few weeks ago I visited this really amazing book store called Open Books in Chicago (read more about it here). Anywho, they had this thing they called a "Blind (Book) Date," where, if you bought $50 worth of books, you got to take home a free book, wrapped in brown paper. And I thought, wouldn't it be fun to turn this into a party, where the people attending selected a book to gift another partygoer that they thought that person would like based on a book profile written by him/her?

Fast forward to today. I've sent out the invite. This will be my 37th birthday party. I will celebrate with my girlfriends. Here's the invite info I sent:
It's my birthday! And on June 14th, I'm celebrating with a Blind (Book) Date Party. Here's the deal: Before the party, you send me a paragraph about what kind of books you usually like - memoirs, dystopic YA novels, Chelsea Handler funny shit, chicken soup for the soul, etc. The more specific the better (also list the books you've already read in that genre, so that you don't get a repeat; and if by some chance you do, we'll have a trade-off;)). Then, I pair you up with somebody else coming to the party, give her your book description, and she selects and gifts you a book that she thinks you will like based on your description (and you'll do the same for her). Bring your gift of a book to the party wrapped up - it should be a surprise:). There will be wine. There will be food. There will be laughter. There will be "Why the hell did she buy me this book?" I am so looking forward to it. I've invited my bookish friends (+ a few who are not so bookish, but I want you here anyway;)). And I hope you can come:). J
I'll let you know how it goes. Stay tuned! Once I get the paragraphs in, I plan to shuffle them around and pass them out, based on who can come. I can't wait to decorate for this one:)). J
Post a Comment