Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Confetti-Pepper Quinoa Recipe

Confetti-Pepper Quinoa 
Spring must really be settling in around the Nest, because I suddenly feel like cooking again. And what I made for lunch today was so absolutely delicious I had to share. Here you go:))!! A/J

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 small red peppers (I buy the multi-colored peppers that come in a bag at the grocery store)
3 small orange peppers (The red and orange peppers should be cut into small rings)
1 average-sized green pepper (diced)
1 can of fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 cup beef broth (or chicken broth, either would work)
1 package of quinoa/quinoa blend (I used a package from Urbane Grain)

Preparation
1. Add the olive oil to a large skillet or pot and warm over medium heat (I use my orange Dutch oven because I like the way stewish-style dishes turn out in it ... I don't know why I felt compelled to tell you what color the pot is, but there you go;)).
2. After the oil has heated up, add the onion and peppers to the pot. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes until the vegetables begin to break down.
3. Add the tomatoes and broth, stir, and allow the mixture to come to simmer (BTW, you could stop right here and serve this sauce over spaghetti or chicken. Very good on its own!!)
4. Stir the package of quinoa into the tomato mixture, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, until the quinoa softens and the liquid from the broth and tomatoes absorbs into the grain.
Urbane Grain Quinoa (I used the Sundried Tomato and Basil, which went great with this particular dish)

YUM! Good and good for you. And this recipe makes enough for three days worth of lunches!

My littlest helper, "reading" to me to keep me occupied.
Post a Comment