Monday, December 30, 2013

DIY Poetry Plates (The Perfect Gift for Your Mom)...

(PS I couldn't share this before Christmas, because, well, ... I guess it's obvious:)). I was really stumped for a meaningful gift to give my mother this year. This sounds rather cliche, but my mom is my rock (usually the one standing between me and the hard place). And this year, funds have been rather tight, what with my husband starting his business and all of the other BS that comes with being a solidly middle-class professional who can no longer afford anything. I couldn't afford to buy her all of the amazing things I wanted to and that she deserves, so I had to improvise. First of all, I made her a photobook filled with all of the adventures she had with me and my daughters this year. And then I also made her these.

Each plate features the lyrics of one of the songs or poems I remember her singing or reciting to me when I was a child, teenager, and then adult.

This was actually the plate on the bottom of the pile, because I know how much these lines mean to her ... and to me. They are from the Cat Stevens song "Oh Very Young," and they read thus: Oh very young, what will you leave us this time? You're only dancing on this earth for a short while. And though your dreams may toss and turn you now ... They will vanish away like your daddy's best jeans, denim blue fading up to the sky. And though you want him to last forever, you know he never will.. (you know he never will).. And the patches make the goodbye harder still.  
This one is from "I see the moon." Read my post about this poem and my mom here.  It reads: I see the moon and the moon sees me. Under the leaves of the old oak tree. Please let the light that shines on me, shine on the ones I love. Over the mountain, over the sea, back where my heart is longing to be. Please let the light that shines on me, shine on the ones I love.
This one, a little blurry, is from "There's a Light on in the Attic" by Shel Silverstein. Read my post about this poem here. There were more. These are the few I remembered to take pictures of:(.
She cried. And I felt a little less terrible about not being in a better place in my life where I could afford to show her how much I really do care. In case you are so inclined, here's how you can make your own:

1. Purchase plain white plates (I found some at Ikea, but you could also try your local dollar or craft store).
2. Clean the plate with Windex and a paper towel (and then avoid touching the surface of the plate. Any oil on the plate's surface will make the ink pull).
3. Using a black oil-based Sharpie, write the lyrics on the plate (I chose a circle pattern, but you could use whatever layout you want).
4. Decorate with your own flourishes using a gold oil-based Sharpie (available in packs at Michael's, Jo-Ann's, etc.).
5. Let the plates dry completely and then bake at 350 degrees. If the writing has pulled together at all, go over the writing again.

Oh, and I also made these one-liners for my mother-in-law. I think I just might make myself a set next:).


Have fun! A/J
Sharpie oil-based pens. Like, the coolest things I have discovered since I was, like, 13. 
Post a Comment