Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Decking the Halls at the Owl's Skull

Ornamenting the Stairs
It's been a long day. I'm really looking forward to getting our tree up this weekend, along with all of the other decorations that make this house feel steeped in tradition. We are hosting my close family for Christmas Eve this year, and I am very excited to have my loved ones here, celebrating what is, if I am being completely honest, my favorite night of the year. We've only done a few things so far, including ornamenting the stairs (see above) and leaving a little warning from Santa on the chalkboard.

A chalkboard message from Santa ... Because paranoid kids are always better behaved.
In case you missed it, here's last year's post on our tree. The Cheshire Cat, of course, makes an appearance.

Our Cheshire Cat ornament. 
I also plan to construct a book tree this year, like the one below, with the kind of lights my family would hang on the porch when I was a kid, which they called "hunky lights" (this didn't seem to me, then, an ethnic slur because my family referred to themselves as "hunkies", growing up as they did descendants of Eastern-European immigrants who settled in the coal patches in Southwestern Pennsylvania).

Via
What are your plans for holiday decorations? I love to hear about people's favorite ornaments, nativity sets, foods, and traditions. Do tell:). A/J
Post a Comment