Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Where the Wild Things Are: Ungerer, Sendak, and Dahl

I love the NPR app on my phone. With it, every day, I transport myself from the daily grind of my commute to a vivid world in which books, music, food, and culture are discussed with intellectual enthusiasm. This week, I heard three lovely bits (two interviews, one with Tomi Ungerer on his childhood under the Nazis and his work and another with Maurice Sendak at the end of his life, as well as a piece about Roald Dahl's Matilda, featuring his granddaughter Sophie). I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I found myself, to be perfectly honest, crying along with Maurice Sendak this morning, his response to Terry Gross's questions about death moved me so. And now, let the Wild Rumpus start ...

Tomi Ungerer's Interview with Terry Gross
Maurice Sendak, also with Terry Gross, about his book Bumble-Ardy, and many bigger, darker things
And the last piece, on Dahl's Matilda, the Backseat Bookclub read for the month of November at NPR
Post a Comment