Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sketching the Imagined World: Maps in Our Favorite Children's Books

When I opened The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani Sunday night (a book I "bought for my daughter" - wink, wink), I was auspiciously greeted with a map. I promptly ran my fingers over it, savoring every nook and cranny of the landscape I was about to enter in Chainani's book, and swiftly fell in love.

The novel also begins with this delicious first sentence: "Sophie had waited all her life to be kidnapped."
Since Sunday night, in the brief moments of respite between grading papers, I have been thinking about how deeply I have always been enamored with books that come complete with sketches of their imagined worlds, tangible representations of the fantastic spaces to be encountered in the coming pages. Here are a few of my favorites:

Finding Neverland 
Mapping Middle Earth Via
To and from the Phantom Tollbooth Via
The town of Sweet Pickles. This series is so deeply imprinted on my psyche it is rather frightening. Via
Map of the Hundred Acre Wood Via
Which favorites of yours am I leaving out? What is it about our human imagination that desires so insistently to know where we are, even in the imagined landscape of a book? J/A
Post a Comment