Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Saturday Night Projects: The Black Pumpkin

You might remember that, in The Rap Sheet a few weeks back, I posted about a slew of pumpkin-decorating ideas from the latest issue of HGTV Magazine. My opinion on pumpkin decorating is as follows: If I'm going to spend that much time on anything, craft-wise, the damned thing better not rot.

So, rather than using Genevieve Gorder's suggestion to decorate a real pumpkin, I turned to my collection of carved pumpkins courtesy of my dad, the chainsaw carver (choosing a faded, older one that really needed to be refurbished), and turned this particular pumpkin project into a family effort.

The kids, with Dad's help, spray-painted the pumpkin a flat black. This was big-time fun for them:). 
The next day, after the pumpkin had dried, I free-handed Gorder's simple design on the pumpkin with chalk and painted over it with weather-resistant white craft paint purchased at Michael's. I'm thinking of going back over it with glow-in-the-dark paint before Halloween night, however, which I think will be awesome:). 
I love the rough, rustic look of what I ended up with (see above). Every time I look at this black pumpkin, I feel happy inside. God I love Halloween. ~A/J
Post a Comment