Thursday, October 3, 2013

Roasted Strawberry Sundae

"Doubtless God could have made a better berry than the strawberry,
but doubtless God never did." William Allen Butler
While doing a little research online about Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams last month, I came across this video about their Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream. And I thought, oh. my. God. A roasted strawberry sounds like heaven. So I set out to recreate the dessert for our weekly Friday Night of Debauchery (on Friday nights, we tend to overindulge in three things: pizza, wine, and dessert; as in, TGIPWD).

I did some browsing online (I especially enjoyed this post from Baking Bites.com) and came up with my own little recipe.

Roasted Strawberry Sundae

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Hull and halve one pint/package of strawberries (locally sourced and in season = awesomeness, but store-bought, off-season ones aren't half bad). Spread out on a lightly greased baking sheet. 
  2. Sprinkle 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, dashes of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves over the berries. You can also add a little vanilla if you like. Shake the berries in the pan to distribute the ingredients. 
  3. Bake for 20-25 minutes (watch the berries so they don't overcook and dry out; I also prefer mine with some texture, and cooking too long can break the berries down). 
  4. Allow the berries to cool slightly, and then serve over a healthy scoop of Ben & Jerry's Vanilla and Honey Greek Frozen Yogurt (Jeni's uses buttermilk in their ice cream, and the tang of the Greek yogurt counters the sweetness of the berries beautifully). You can also add a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar to top things off.

My littlest helper loved dishing up this dessert:). 
Bon appetit! A/J
Post a Comment