Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Why I love reading to my daughters


I am lucky enough, at this point in my life, to be able to work from home two days a week. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I spend the day with my youngest, Sophia, who is growing so fast I see her edges as blurred. The mornings are usually spent with her watching cartoons or playing and me writing lesson plans, reading, or grading papers. Then, we have lunch, and then, we snuggle down under a mountain of books and read until she is sleepy.

There is something so comforting about reading to my daughters. I am the first one to admit that I am pretty dismal at other forms of play; making up dramatic Barbie plays, roaring with dinosaurs, and hopping around in the backyard ... that's just not my thing. But reading, and reading with feeling, I can do with the best of them. I make up voices. I read softly and with CRASH BOOM BANGS. The girls chime in with their own voices.  And here's really why I love it.

When I read to my daughters, we become some kind of symbiotic creature. Our breath fills out the corners of the stories, making them ours. And I realize, painfully, that one day our symbiotic creature must succumb to time; its been in its death throes with my eldest for the past year now already. Maggie and I currently read in the same room, but silently, in our own chairs, climbing into the worlds of our separate stories. With Sophie, I relish now, when my soon-to-be three year old will still climb into my lap, letting her weight grow heavier as the story grows longer.

...

On a completely other note, today's book, Peter Rabbit (above), was inspired by Sophie's lunch fare (I like, sometimes, for fun, to connect what she eats to what we read), an Annie's Microwavable Mac and Cheese Cup that came in my Mama VoxBox from Influenster. Quick and easy to prepare, this mac and cheese was surprisingly, well, cheesy. I'm used to the Kraft Mac and Cheese singles, which are invariably runny and fairly slimy. Annie's offering felt much more like homemade mac and cheese, and Sophie scarfed the entire serving up. I was almost afraid she was going to eat the bowl (and I was hoping to get more than just the one little spoonful I managed to sneak before I gave it to her). I tend to prefer giving my kids whole, unprocessed foods, but when life calls for something fast in a pinch, I would serve Annie's up again. It was hopping good.


Until tomorrow!
"I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes." All opinions, however, are solely my own.
Post a Comment