Thursday, August 22, 2013

New Leaves

"Leaves on Looking Up from the Ground"
Yesterday, my eldest daughter stepped onto the bus a third grader. This morning, I attended meetings that will funnel into the first day of classes next Tuesday. The long and winding days of summer, filled with sleeping in, writing, going to the pool, traveling, and general malaise, are a thing of the past.

#photobombwithabanana
The new school year, to me, is a better time of year to make resolutions than during the bitter month of January, when I typically feel like hibernating rather than recalibrating. September is sweet; the light grows crisper, the world assumes a new palette. It's funny: as things begin to wither and die, the world strikes me as born afresh. The sticky lushness of August evaporates, leaving behind an autumnal asceticism. The perfect time to turn over a new leaf (even if it is orange).

This year, the bad habits I have cultivated carefully over my first 36 years of life are starting to bite back. I am tired, heavier (I weigh now what I weighed the night I walked into the hospital to deliver my first daughter. Oof.). More importantly, I don't feel healthy, and it's time to change that. I've bitten the bullet and signed up for Weight Watchers, and vow to sleep more, schedule yoga and strength-training into my routine, and stress less. Wish me luck. Here's where I am right now. I'll keep you posted.

Please ignore the pile of laundry behind the curtain. 
Do you have any New {School} Year's Resolutions?





Post a Comment