Friday, August 2, 2013

Nabokov's Butterfly ...

Via
Did you know that Vladimir Nabokov often drew butterflies in his books as he inscribed them for loved ones, colleagues, friends? Until today, I did not. We learn something new every day.

I picked up and started reading, today, a book I bought a long time ago, Nabokov's Butterfly: And Other Stories of Great Authors and Rare Books by Rick Gekoski. So far, I love it. It's the kind of literary gossip I enjoy most. If you are also a biography-obsessed bibliophile, I recommend Gekoski's book as a fun read, albeit I am only up to the chapter on Lord of the Flies (Chapter 3, I believe). I appreciate the blend of personal anecdote and history lesson Gekoski does best, all with a dose of rather proud self-deprecation.

Order the book here
My favorite quotation from the book thus far: "there's nothing as reassuring and reliable as a book. I don't mean physically, though books resist the passage of time considerably better than humans do, but emotionally. Books are good company, their presence brightens up a room: they become a defining feature of one's personal landscape. They are comforting because they are so stable. Unlike people, they don't change. At first reading a book may satisfy or disappoint, surprise or irritate, cause tears or laughter. But whatever happens is irrevocable: Little Nell will always die, James Bond will continue to defeat the forces of evil, Pooh will keep his paw in the honeypot."

Oh, and just because I couldn't resist:


Sting was hot in 1980. ~Alice (aka jess)
Post a Comment