Friday, July 19, 2013

The Determination of Spiders ...

Little Miss Muffet
Little Miss Muffet
Sat on her tuffet
Eating her curds and whey. 
Along came a spider,
who sat down beside her, 
and frightened Miss Muffet away. 

Two days ago, I spent the majority of my day cleaning in and around the kitchen, a rather nasty task if you ask me (Why, for instance, does the Tupperware always end up a huge f*@!ing mess in the cabinets? And why does the refrigerator always wind up a No Man's Land for half-used condiments?). I scrubbed the entire place ceiling to floor, even the inside of the microwave, which is also not a job for sissies. One of the other things I tackled during my kitchen-cleaning tenure was the spider's web that had been so carefully woven in the space between the screen and glass in my kitchen window. I had grown tired of staring at the mass of insect carnage that had cropped up at eye level seemingly overnight, the poor moths, junebugs, and flies no match for the menacing insect who lay in wait in the middle of her web.

Just before my broom descended on her domicile, I felt a little bad for destroying with one swift swipe of the bristles all that she had worked so hard to build. Then, I shrugged my shoulders and said to myself, "Life is kind of like that, you know. One day you think you have everything in order, food stocked up in the larder for the lean times to come, and then the forces above (or below) come along with one swift swipe of fate (or karma) and you're left with nothing. Besides that, the bitch shouldn't have built her insect morgue/pantry in my sight-line." And then, I lowered the boom.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I woke up bright and early the next morning (OK, actually around 10:00) and there she was again, sitting in the middle of a newly woven web, waiting for her next victims ... in the exact same spot. You've got to give it to her, she is one determined little insect. It seems to me, however, she should have learned her lesson. If I swept her web away once, I most likely will do it again. I just can't take watching the circle of life unwinding before my eyes every morning while I make my morning coffee.

Step into my parlor, said the spider to the fly. ~Alice (aka jess)

There she is. I've nicknamed her Miss Muffet. Out of spite. 

Post a Comment