Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Blood, Bones, and Butter ...


One more food post this week. That's it. I promise. But it's also kind of about a book.

First, many of you asked me to post the recipe for the Summer Squash Lemon-Ricotta pie that I Instagrammed the other night. My pie was adapted from this recipe, which appeared in the latest Better Homes and Gardens. I used a frozen pie shell, because that's what I had on hand, but I think it would be much better with pie dough formed into a galette, as in the recipe, if I'm being honest. However, I also added some leftover pesto that I had in the fridge to the ricotta, as well as some halved grape tomatoes, both of which enhanced the brightness of the pie greatly, in my opinion. Try it out. My husband ate almost the whole thing in one sitting (which makes up somewhat for the week he ate package after package of Uncle Ben's rice while the girls and I were on our dance vacation, losing six pounds in the process ... I hate men).

Second, a friend just asked me to recommend some of my favorite memoirs, which suddenly made me realize how many of them are written by chefs, foodies, etc. One of my absolute favorites is Blood, Bones, and Butter, a book by Gabrielle Hamilton that traces her evolution as a chef. The first chapter in this book is entrancing. It makes you want to press your nose into the spine of the book so that you can experience the smells she describes, the very aura of the place. I don't want to give too much away; it's a book you should set foot into for yourself.

Via
Until tomorrow. ~Alice (aka jess)

Post a Comment