So, I thought I would make a list of the books I have up and stopped reading over the years. I rarely give up on books; I usually give them at least a fighting chance. However, when I do abandon them, I do it with abandon;). Here they are:
- The Time Traveler's Wife: This book utterly failed to capture my attention. At all. I found the main character rather insipid, and just a tad creepy for "stalking" the child version of his wife. A no go on all counts for me.
- The Fountainhead: I really couldn't stomach Rand's philosophy in this book. And when Robbie the Creep recommended the book to Baby in Dirty Dancing, well, that was it.
- The Making of Americans (Gertrude Stein): This book is really long. This book is really long. This.book.is.really.long. Thisbookisreallylong. Thislongbookisreally not very good. I stopped about 50 pages in. Even if it was on my Major Field Exam. There, I said it.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series: Slow. Slooooooooooow. Also, very few likable characters. Lisbeth Salander somewhat. But just barely.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: I hate to admit it, but this book deserves an honorary mention on this list, because I picked it up and failed to finish it, at least 10 times. I did finally finish the book by listening to the audio version in my car, and I still can't quite put my finger on it's inability to captivate my imagination. I usually like books of this sort.
Those are my top five. I do want to say, however, that I did finish Moby Dick. All of it. Which is one of the most abandoned books of all time. Which books have you picked up only to put back down? ~Alice (aka jess)