Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Abandoned Books ...

Via
This morning, I came across this very interesting post about the books we abandon by Casee Marie over at Literary Inklings. Her theory is that we tend to put down those books that have been recommended to us by hashtags, the ones that everybody else has read and enjoyed, so we think we most likely will enjoy them also. And then we don't.

So, I thought I would make a list of the books I have up and stopped reading over the years. I rarely give up on books; I usually give them at least a fighting chance. However, when I do abandon them, I do it with abandon;). Here they are:

  1.  The Time Traveler's Wife: This book utterly failed to capture my attention. At all. I found the main character rather insipid, and just a tad creepy for "stalking" the child version of his wife. A no go on all counts for me. 
  2. The Fountainhead: I really couldn't stomach Rand's philosophy in this book. And when Robbie the Creep recommended the book to Baby in Dirty Dancing, well, that was it. 
  3. The Making of Americans (Gertrude Stein): This book is really long. This   book    is    really    long. This.book.is.really.long. Thisbookisreallylong. Thislongbookisreally not very good. I stopped about 50 pages in. Even if it was on my Major Field Exam. There, I said it. 
  4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series: Slow. Slooooooooooow. Also, very few likable characters. Lisbeth Salander somewhat. But just barely. 
  5. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: I hate to admit it, but this book deserves an honorary mention on this list, because I picked it up and failed to finish it, at least 10 times. I did finally finish the book by listening to the audio version in my car, and I still can't quite put my finger on it's inability to captivate my imagination. I usually like books of this sort. 
Those are my top five. I do want to say, however, that I did finish Moby Dick. All of it. Which is one of the most abandoned books of all time. Which books have you picked up only to put back down? ~Alice (aka jess)
Post a Comment