Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Joy of Living...


Over the past 10 years or so, my husband and I have borne our share of bad luck (we've been together since we were 18, off and on, which I have suddenly realized is a really long time;)). I had a slight "pre-cancerous" scare. We didn't get the house we thought we wanted. We both ran into roadblocks in our career aspirations. Our cars broke down. Each and every one of them. Usually at the most inopportune times.   The sewer lines in our new house backed up (and, in the very same week, a pipe in the dining room wall blew a gasket - or whatever the hell you want to call it - and we had to cut a huge hole in the plaster that my mother had so meticulously spackled, sanded, spackled, and re-sanded). Sometimes, I just want to throw up my hands and say, "WTF, world?! Get off my back."

But then, I remember that all of the most important things in my little corner of the world are damn near perfect. My husband and I both have our health, and we get along pretty well considering the fact that we met when we were so young.  My kids are both happy and healthy. I know what it's like, from the experience of someone I love very, very much, to wake up one day and not have your kids be happy and healthy. To not have your children at all. I know it sucks all the life out of your bones and makes you want to really give up.

So, tonight, at 2:17 in the morning, after I have just finished grading a mountain of essays, when I am really, really tired, and just a teensy bit cranky, I celebrate the joy of living. Because even when life seems like it really sucks, it is a pretty beautiful gift. And a precious one. Much love to you and yours. ~Alice
Post a Comment