Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Take Your Daughter to Work Day ...


Earlier this year, I promised my oldest daughter that I would take her with me when I attended an academic conference. She's of the age now where she can sit and listen attentively (or at least read unobtrusively - which she did during our panel, tucking into Totally Lame Vampire for a while), and I had been to other conferences where girls had tagged along with their mothers during their presentations. She asked, and I thought, "Why not?" What a perfect way for her to get the opportunity to (A) get a taste of what life as an academic might be like (she loves to read and wants to teach, so that career path might be in her stars) and (B) see an entirely new place and experience new things. So, late last week, after little sleep and some last-minute packing, we were on the road to Washington, D.C.

To commemorate our most awesome trip, here's a quick list of my girl's favorite firsts:

Tasting a Shirley Temple (on the house) in a really cool French bistro (Bistrot du Coin in Dupont Circle if you are ever in town). You know when several people eating there are speaking French, the food is probably decent. Not the cleanest place around, but the bread and the mussels were divine. 
Riding the Metro (which is extremely easy to use and was, for her, extremely exciting). I have to admit that I  found the escalator ride extremely disorienting;). 
Measuring herself against the Washington Monument. Turns out it's pretty tall. 
Holding up the White House. Turns out it's pretty heavy.  
Saying hello to Abe Lincoln. 
Dancing on the National Mall. One of my favorite pictures. 
People-watching at a Starbucks in a major city (very different from people-watching in the Starbucks in our little town).  
Mom handing over the map and letting her navigate the National Zoo.  Mom handing over the map almost never happens. 
Getting up close and personal with history (this monument never fails to make me cry). 
All in all, a great time. I can't wait to do it again. She learned a little more about both me and herself in a few short days, and I learned how important it is to let her test her wings in preparation for flight. Until tomorrow. ~Alice




Post a Comment