Friday, March 15, 2013

Winter is Dead: The Spring Mantle

She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head
And whispered to her neighbor: 
"Winter is dead." (A.A. Milne, When We Were Young)

I will miss this sight.

Our very first Christmas morning in the new house:). 
I will not, however, miss the conditions outdoors that precipitate the need for the fire. My ire for the cold, along with the sun filtering insistently through the windows this past week has ignited my desire for a change.  A minimal change, but a change nonetheless.

Just to provide some context for the progress we have made this year, here is where we were in August.

You couldn't even see the mantle for the first month because we had a sheet over it. Navajo orange was everywhere. They had even painted the molding in the dining room this godforsaken color. 
And here's where we are today.

Oh, the blood, sweat, and tears that went into this room. 
I changed out the pine boughs (which were cutaways from our Christmas tree and have lasted since the end of November!!) for some springy vines and ornamental bulbs purchased for $4.00 at Dollar General. I've had to go low-rent for this project -  my daughter's dancing is cleaning out my funds!!
I also removed the snowflake ribbon and pine cones, going back to something of a clean slate. I like a spare mantle in the Spring. The season makes me feel Puritanical. Even when it whispers.


I think I feel the softness of the lamb rising from the dead grasses. Clean, pure, and innocent. Praise baby Jesus;). ~Alice
Post a Comment