Monday, February 4, 2013

The Tortoise and the Hare ...

Via
Slow and steady wins the race. You've probably heard this saying before. Many times in my life I've been faced with a long project that I have found utterly paralyzing. And in the face of said project, rather than tackling it head on, I stick my head in the sand. It's like when I ask a question in class and each and every student looks at his or her desk, thinking, "If I don't look at her, she can't see me." In other words, my knee-jerk reaction is to pretend the project doesn't exist, to tuck my head back into my shell and hide.

Eventually you have to stick your neck out. When I was an anxious PhD student (the time in my life, I realize, during which I developed this brand of behavior), I eventually discovered that it would get me nowhere. And I realized I had to get my dissertation done somehow (even with a new baby in tow). So, I read this book that a friend recommended called Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day. The most important lesson I learned from this book was that I had to do a little bit every day. Fifteen minutes often turns into an hour. And you can sometimes be amazed at how much you can get done in fifteen minutes.

Slow and steady wins the race. As I face a few more big projects on the horizon, I better get my head out of my shell. ~Alice
Post a Comment