Monday, January 7, 2013

Zizzer-zazzer-zuzz...

Today, in my children's and YA lit class, I taught the alphabet. Well, alphabets (I did, however, demonstrate the old fashioned teaching method of "C... C... Cat"). Since, I've been thinking a great deal about how much and how little our culture has changed. And how much I love those morbid Puritans.

An early "hornbook" (so called because it was a piece of wood covered by a thin sheet of horn to protect the text from which youngsters would learn). Does it disturb anyone else that this looks like a paddle? Via
From The New England Primer. I have three favorite couplets here: "The Cat doth play, / And after slay"; "The idle Fool / Is whipt at school"; "As runs the Glass, / Man's life doth pass." This book is otherwise titled How to Screw Up an Entire Generation of Young People; Via

And my own personal favorite Seuss's ABC book (please find below a rather annoying app-version of this book. I read it sooooo much better).


So, here's my question: How do you remember learning your letters? Was it painless or painful? (I can't get those poor little eighteenth-century tikes in the baby class reciting their alphabets forwards and backwards alllllllll daaaaaaayyyyyy loooooooong). ~Alice
Post a Comment