Thursday, January 10, 2013

Q&A a Day: 365 Questions ...

For many years now, I have tried to keep a journal. Many, many years (to be perfectly honest with you, I still have the same journal I started in ... wait for it ... 1999, almost 14 years ago. And I am only on page 220 out of 300. It may last another six). This we shall call epic failure.

I admire greatly those people who write regularly and abundantly in their journals. Sylvia Plath's journal, for example, is voluminous, covering page after page with her ideas for stories, her spites, her delights, how much she loved to cook and eat and write and love (see The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath if you are interested).

Then, when I was in Boston for a conference, I popped into the Anthropologie store on Newbury street (gorgeous store), and came across this compact little book called Q&A: 365 Questions, 5 Years, 1,825 Answers. And I thought, here is something I can do.


Each day, for five years, you answer the same question in a very short space - the sheer lack of investment that it seems to involve for such a long project, along with the promise of being able to see how I have changed as a person over the course of five years has sucked me in.


Now for today's entry (see above). Today, I wanted to write down a quote I came across in Neil Gaiman's fairy-tale poem "Instructions," and I thought, "Why don't I just write it above the date when I read it, so I'll know when I came across the line for the first time?" I turned to today's page and read this prompt: "Write down something that inspired you today." So, here it is:

Do not lose hope - what you seek will be found.
Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped to help you in their turn. 
Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story.

Sometimes the world works in mysterious, felicitous ways. It sometimes makes me wonder if aliens are controlling my every move ... or if there really is a God. ~Alice
Post a Comment