Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Highgate...

Today, in my Facebook feed, appeared this image from the gate to the Egyptian walk in Highgate Cemetery, London.

Image from the Facebook community page The Macabre and the Beautifully Grotesque
The site contains a gallery of over 1,400 albums, and they post images daily for those interested in the macabre, the gothic, the horrific, and the grotesque. Thanks, Scott (you know who you are), for the heads up on this one. I wonder if they have a drawing of Johnny the Grasseater;)?  
Highgate has been a macabre interest of mine since I read Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry, a ghostly novel set in and around this famous cemetery (I liked this book a great deal; even if I found it utterly disturbing and unsatisying in the end, I would recommend it for a light read).

Once the haunt of Victorians both live and dead, Highgate became the burial ground of choice for the financially well-off and the intellectual elite; George Eliot, Christina Rossetti, and Karl Marx (not to mention Charles Dickens' parents) are some of the notables buried therein. By the mid-1970s, however, Highgate had fallen into disrepair and the gates were closed. Later (after a vampire scandal, no less), the gates were reopened to the public by the Friends of Highgate Cemetery  (see tour options here: http://www.highgate-cemetery.org/index.php/home).



All images from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highgate_Cemetery.
I kick myself every time I realize I missed seeing Highgate the last time I was in London. You can bet your bottom dollar I won't miss it next time. Until tomorrow. ~Alice
Post a Comment