Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Quoth the Raven, "Eat my shorts."

Tuesday tidbits. As I was waiting in line today at the campus Starbucks for my Americano, this little ray of darkness caught my eye: the TV episode "Pick of the Week" was none other than the Simpsons "Treehouse of Terror: The Original Episode." I scarfed one up; you should too on your next run.
 
Apologies for the poor picture quality. Today is not my best day.
An auditory taste of the Treehouse of Horror version of "The Raven." Pretty funny stuff.


Tidbit 2: This interview with Lane Smith about his latest children's book on NPR's All Things Considered sheds some light on the value of the "weird' in children's books.  Says Smith, "I've never subscribed to that theory ... that all children's books should be for all kids. When I was a kid, I liked odd and weird things, and I think I would've been insulted if someone gave me a book with, you know, happy little bunnies and a book on feelings or whatever. So throughout my career, I've always tried to, I guess, challenge the kid and do modern-looking artwork, to use a hackneyed term, I guess."


Smith's illustrations are reminiscent of Edward Gorey's (www.npr.org).
The premise of the book? A little girl finds Abe Lincoln's ghost in the White House and updates him on the State of the Union. Weird, but intriguing. Find the book at NPR.
Finally, the new season of American Horror Story starts tomorrow. This one ought to be good. DVR it now.


Nighty night all. Don't let the bedbugs bite. ~Alice
Post a Comment