Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day...

Today is the kind of day when I want to just crawl into my nook and read a fantastic book that will take me away from all of my worries. Alas, I have promised myself that instead I will hang curtains.

Calgon, take me away ...
If you are a reader, you have a spot. A place to bed down with the latest thriller, classic, or kidlit sensation, any old book with pages will likely do the trick. These days, I rarely get to read for enjoyment. So much of my job requires reading - books, student papers, homework - that the last thing I usually want to do at the end of a long day is read some more. When I chose this career, I didn't realize that one of the side-effects would be that I would grow away from my books. My spot has become an extension of my workplace, which I find rather sad. I promised myself that I would take a half hour at the end of every night to read something I enjoy. Did that happen? Nope.

I always make these promises with myself that I fail to keep. I promised myself that I would work on my fiction for at least 20 minutes every day. Stopped in about a week. I vowed that I would take yoga twice a week. You can guess how that panned out. I promised myself that I would read one chapter a month of Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project and then try to create my own goals (I even bought a calendar to "chart" my progress; I'm an OCD person much like Rubin). I stopped in March. ... The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.


More about Rubin's book here.
The point to all of this is that I think we should be a little kinder to ourselves. I loved Rubin's book (well, the four chapters of it that I have read thus far), but the whole idea of a "happiness project" seems kind of ludicrous, when you really think about it. How happy can you be when you are working to be happy? Ah, well, tonight I'll make myself another promise. I'll take five. I will sit in my favorite chair and read for myself. Something that I enjoy and that I don't have to read for work, for a conference, for....anything. You should too.

Maybe I'll pick up The Happiness Project again - for old time's sake;). ~Alice

Post a Comment