Friday, October 19, 2012

Crooked Books for Your Reading Nook ...

Something for your little ghouls and bats to get them in the Halloween spirit this weekend.

First, Runaway Mummy: A Petrifying Parody by Michael Rex, which makes my girls giggle.

The book is available here (some hard copies for a penny; yes, I said a penny!!).
"Once there was a little mummy who wanted to run away. "If you run away," said Mother Mummy, "I will get you! For you are my rotten little mummy!"

The Amazon Review: "A little mummy transforms into a series of incredible monsters in order to run away and assert his independence. His mother keeps coming to 'get' him, but this little mummy has a mind of his own. Filled with uproarious illustrations, another beloved classic gets a kind-hearted send-up in this utterly monsterized parody. Energetic art and a hilarious text will have kids begging to read this again and again."
~~~~~

Second, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat by Lucille Colandro.

Also available at Amazon.
Who doesn't know the premise of this story, based in the old nursery rhyme ("There was an old lady who swallowed a fly / I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die?"). Check out Judy Collins singing the song on "The Muppets" (one of my favorite shows of all time; hurdy dur).


~~~~
And, last but definitely not least, the opening lines of one of my favorite twisted poems from childhood, "The Spider and the Fly":
"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there."
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."
Find the whole poem here.

Early cover design for The Spider & The Fly,Simon & Schuster, 2002

Enjoy your weekend!! ~Alice
Post a Comment