Friday, August 10, 2012

A New Chapter Begins....

At roughly 4:25 this afternoon, we closed on our new home. Closing a chapter in our lives brings to mind these lines from P.D. Eastman's The Best Nest:

I love my house.
I love my nest.
In all the world,
my nest is best.

A few months before we moved our household from Missouri to Pennsylvania (about four years ago now), my oldest daughter received this book in the mail as part of her Scholastic Book Club. It helped to make the transition from our old world to our new world easier. Eastman's book helps you remember that home is where you lay your hat (and that it doesn't have to be the classiest joint on the block). 

You can find The Best Nest here. I'll warn you, though, that Mrs. Bird is kind of a bitch.
You'll feel bad for Mr. Bird;).

Follow along over the next few weeks as I transform my youngest daughter's room from New England crab shack (pics to come soon - I forgot to take them today in all the hustle and bustle) into an "Owls and Books" abode. To give you an idea of just how "interesting" the wallpaper in this room is, I give you my oldest daughter's room (we are actually keeping this wallpaper, because she loves it - as you can see;)).



When searching for ideas about how to make over the wee one's room, I found this print from Jane Mount. The print is part of a series in which Mount "documents" people's bookshelves in an effort to capture their personalities. As Mount notes, "you can actually learn a lot about people from their bookshelves" (I wonder what people think when they look at mine? Hmmmm......).
Unfortunately, this print is currently sold out, so I am thinking of ways to recreate it with my daughter's own favorite books. Stay tuned for this project.

While we're at it, another unique idea I came across on Pinterest a few months back. This will definitely be making an appearance in some way, shape, or form in our new abode.


So, in the words of Dorothy, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home." If I could only click my heels and all the boxes would be unpacked and the house would be completely finished. On that note, I will be off the grid for the next few days as we reboot into our new house. When I return, Bella Swan - heroine worth reading about or an emo June Cleaver?

Good night all;).





Post a Comment